This is a great recipe that Chamcen found on a popular Chinese food site. You can see the original recipe in Chinese for those of you who want a challenge!
‘Snowy’ Mooncake with a Creamy Custard filling
There are two parts to this recipe: 1) Making the custard filling and 2) Making the mooncake dough
- – 鸡蛋 eggs 150g (3 small eggs are around 150g)
- – 黄油 butter 80g
- – 奶粉 milk powder 60g
- – 细砂糖 granulated sugar 70g
- – 澄粉 Wheat Starch 30g (optional)
- – 粘米粉 Rice flour 35g
- – 澄粉 Wheat Starch 20g
- – 牛奶 milk 185g
- – 细砂糖 granulated sugar 40g
- – 植物油 vegetable oil 20ml
You will also need a steamer or a rice cooker and a mooncake mould. We’ve found 2 products that you can use, one for those of you in China, and the other from Amazon. These will probably just give you an idea of what you need so you can find what you need 🙂
How to make the Creamy Custard filling:
- 1) Take the butter out of the fridge and leave till room temperature. When it has become softer, cream it with sugar, mixing it in the same direction, till smooth.
Mooncake Dough Method:
- 1) Mix all the flours and granulated sugar together, add the milk, and whisk until smooth.
If you try out this recipe let us know how it goes! Leave us any questions, comments and pictures below!